Cost Of Motorcycle Insurance
What Goes Into It?
The cost of motorcycle insurance is determined by quite an array of particulars that are unique to you and your own personal circumstances.
You might be quite fortunate and find that your bike insurance is only going to cost you about $150 per year. Not bad, really.
On the other hand, you might discover that it's going to cost you an arm and a leg. Some people have to pay as much as $2000 per year. Yikes!
The truth is, almost anywhere in the USA is going to be cheaper than anywhere in Canada when it comes to buying motorcycle insurance. So, I guess Americans can count their blessings for that little fact.
Getting a motorcycle is an exciting experience. It doesn't matter if it is your very first ride or perhaps your 10th.
There is always a thrilling feeling of anticipation as you purchase, register, insure and get it onto the road.
I've observed this phenomenon so many times over the years in my own husband and among his friends. I admit that the excitement even rubs off on me from time to time just to see his pleasure.
So, let's get down to the nitty-gritty of what facts about you and your bike will contrive to determine the cost of motorcycle insurance in your particular case.
- Your bike - Just like with cars, the make, model, and year of your ride is going to affect your motorcycle insurance rates.
- Your riding season - If you live up north, like we do, you can usually get a reduction in the cost of your premiums if you only ride half a year.
- Your driving record - Your own driving history (whether on a bike or in an auto) will affect your rates.
- Your location - As I mentioned earlier, where you live can play a big role in the price of your motorcycle insurance. Not just the country or state, but even the city or part of town can play a part. For instance, if you live in an area that has a lot of crime, you pose a greater risk. Same goes for living in an area that has a higher rate of traffic accidents.
I'm not suggesting you move, just be prepared. If you are able to manage to organize a secure location (locked garage or indoor secure area), or an alarm system, that will help your chances of getting a cheaper rate.
- Your age and particulars - Young men or even older men that are new riders will usually have a higher insurance premium starting out. One way to help counter these costs is to take a motorcycle safety course.
- Your coverage options - Of course, the type and amount of coverage you choose is going to make up the major cost of your motorcycle insurance. You'll have to purchase the legal required minimum, but if you've got a nice bike, you'll likely want more.
Don't over insure, but don't under insure either. You may want some extra coverage if you've added a lot of custom accessories, but realize that you will usually only get market value on your bike in the event of an accident.
Be sure to shop around before deciding on the company you'll choose. You may discover that your current auto insurance company can offer you the best deal when it comes to adding the cost of motorcycle insurance to your current policy.
On the other hand, you may get a better deal elsewhere. Take the opportunity to get a motorcycle insurance quote online or two or three. This will give you a better idea of where you stand before you make your final decision.
From Cost of Motorcycle Insurance to Online Motorcycle Insurance Quote
Return to Auto Insurance Helper Homepage